Cumin Tomato 'Red Lentil' Dhal
This is an authentic family recipe perfected over generations. It has a nice aroma and flavour from the cumin and warmth from black pepper. The packet also contains spice mix with tomato powders. It also contains fermented lentils, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, asafoetida and curry leaves. All you have to do is cook the dhal in 1 litre of water for about 15 min, add the spice mix, stir well and cook for another 5 min to create an authentic South Indian style dhal. It is that simple. Serve hot with 1 Pot Meals Turmeric Coconut or Turmeric Lemon Rice! It is Vegan, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Soy Free and contains NO NASTIES, NUMBERS or anything ARTIFICIAL.
Red Lentils, Fermented Lentils, Tomato Powder, Cumin, Coriander, Ginger Powder, Himalayan Pink Salt, Fenugreek, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Mustard Seeds, Chia Seeds, Asafoetida, Kashmiri Chilli, Curry Leaves
- Separate the spice mix from the packet & rinse lentils
- Boil 1 Litre of water (add another 200 ml if you don’t want it thicker)
- In a saucepan, add rinsed lentils and boiling water and cook* for 15 mins at medium to high heat without lid
- Add the spice mix, stir well and cook for another 5 mins
- Serve hot with 1 Pot Meals Coconut Turmeric Rice
*If you want your dhal to be nice and smooth, cook for an additional 10 mins
- To get a restaurant quality dhal, cook the lentils without the spice mix for 15 mins as instructed above (points 1-3. Once cooled, use a blender and blend the cooked lentils for 20-30 seconds
- In a saucepan, add about 2 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, 1 red chilli diced, sauté for 2 min, add about a 1 ½ cups of diced pumpkin and sauté for another 2 mins.
- Add the smooth cooked lentils, spice mix about 100 ml of water and cook for about 8-10 mins. Add some fresh coriander leaves before serving
This product may contain traces of sesame seeds & other nuts.
To maximise the flavour combination, this dhal kit is best served with 1 Pot Turmeric Coconut Rice or Turmeric Lemon Rice.