Coconut Pumpkin 'Mung Bean' Dhal
Note: This recipe will take about 45 mins to cook to get mung dhal nice and soft. If you use a pressure cooker instead of a saucepan, you can still cook this in under 25 mins.
This is an authentic family recipe perfected over generations. The packet also contains spice mix with freeze dried pumpkin. It also contains organic desiccated coconut, fermented lentils, cumin, turmeric, black pepper, asafoetida and curry leaves. All you have to do is cook the dhal in 1.2 litres of water for about 30 min, add the spice mix, stir well and cook for another 15 mins to create an authentic South Indian style dhal. It is that simple. Serve hot with 1 Pot Meals Turmeric Coconut or Turmeric Lemon Rice! It is Vegan, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, Soy Free and contains NO NASTIES, NUMBERS or anything ARTIFICIAL.
Mung Dhal, Organic Desiccated Coconut, Pumpkin Powder, Tomato Powder, Cumin, Fermented Lentils, Ginger Powder, Himalayan Pink Salt, Turmeric, Black Pepper, Mustard Seeds, Chia Seeds, Asafoetida, Curry Leaves
- Separate the spice mix from the packet & rinse lentils
- Boil 1.2 litres of water (add another 100ml if you don’t want it thicker)
- In a saucepan, add rinsed mung dhal and boiling water and cook for 30 min at low heat without lid (keep an eye out for boil over)
- Add the spice mix, stir well to remove any lumpy bits and cook for another 15 min without lid or lid slightly closed at low heat. Stir every 5 min
- Serve hot with 1 Pot Meals Coconut Turmeric Rice or Turmeric Lemon Rice
- To get a restaurant quality dhal, cook the lentils without the spice mix for 30 min as instructed above (points 1-3. Once cooled, use a blender and blend the cooked lentils for 20-30 seconds
- In a saucepan, add about 2 tablespoon of coconut oil, 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, 1 red chilli diced, sauté for 2 min, add about a 1 ½ cups of diced pumpkin and sauté for another 2 min.
- Add the smooth cooked lentils, spice mix about 100 ml of water and cook for about 15 min. Add some fresh coriander leaves before serving
This product may contain traces of sesame seeds & other nuts.
To maximise the flavour combination, this dhal kit is best served with 1 Pot Turmeric Coconut Rice or Turmeric Lemon Rice.